What would be the name of the dish in English? Can it be Tamarind ginger mix or tamarind ginger paste? It is not a dish but cannot be also called a side dish. It cannot be categorized as a pickle. Category dilemma It is not worth spending the effort in translating and catgorizing, for there is a better task of savoring the dish. . Once consumed, the stuff is tingling and leaves a combination of sour and hot feeling in the tongue. It can be had with curd rice, any Tiffin or any dish that needs a sour and hot accompaniment. It takes the form of a thick liquid and is brownish. The ingredients and preparation steps are simple – tamarind, ginger, mustard, green chillies, fengu creek, dry seasame powder, asafetida and oil. After preparation the sight of ginger and chillis floating in the dish is a visual treat to the eyes. The seeds of the chillies, ginger would float like small petals in water. There is a warning for persons with stomach disorders. Higher quantities of tamarind, ginger and chillies in preparation can affect your stomach.
Tamarind – one big lemon size| Green chillies – 8 to 10 slit |Ginger 150 gms | Fenugreek powder ½ tsp | Dry roasted sesame powder ½ tsp | Urad dal powder(optional) ½ tsp | Asafoetida -½ tsp | Salt to taste | Oil 2 tbsp | Jaggery according to taste requirements |
Do not forget to add a generous dose of kai manam.
- Soak the tamarind in warm water.
- Peel the ginger and slice into long stripes.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add seasoning mustard seeds and channa dal.
- Once the mixture splutters, add the slit chillies and ginger. Fry till the ginger shrinks.
- Add the tamarind pulp with a little water and let it boil well for 10 to 15 mts.
- To this boiling mixture add salt, jaggery and asafetida powder.
- After the mixture thickens a little, simmer the flame and add fengu creek powder, seasame seed powder and urad dal powder. Boil it for 3 to 4 mts until the mixture becomes thick.